Since its inception in 1976, the KYM has accumulated several thousands of care seekers’ record which provide valuable information on the role and significance of yoga interventions in the therapeutic context. The raison-d’etre of KYM’s research wing is to systematically organize and analyse the data and make this information available to the yoga community. Further, the KYM research Department is also actively involved in literary research primarily focusing on comparative studies of ancient classical yoga texts and the revival of previously unpublished manuscripts available in the Government archives university libraries etc.
The KYM research Department is also committed to periodically conducting seminars and workshop on yoga therapy and yoga literature with a view to creating more awareness of and interest in yoga as a viable system of complementary therapy and as a living philosophical tradition.
Literary Research activities formally commenced at Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram in the year 2010. Literary Research at KYM includes study, analysis and dissemination of information regarding Yoga Texts in the tradition of Sri T Krishnamacharya. It also includes editing unpublished manuscripts (in palm-leaf and other such old material), translating texts into English and Tamil, organizing seminars and conferences on literary research topics and publishing the papers presented therein. The books published so far cover all these areas of Literary Research in Yoga.
Literary Research Outcome in the form of Books
- பதஞ்ஜலி சரிதம் (Patañjalicartiam), Life of Patañjali based on a 17th century work of Poetry in Sanskrit – Tamil Prose Adaptation, 2012
- Patañjali-caritam (mahākāvyam) The Legend of Sage Patañjali, Samskrit prose adaptation with Translation in English, 2012.
- Aṣṭāṅgatyoga-nirūpaṇam and Nādānusandhāna-pañcakam Two Rare Unpublished Works on Yoga,With Critical notes and Translation in English, 2013
- யோகஸூத்ரம் – வ்யாஸரின் உரை – தமிழ் மொழிபெயர்ப்பு (Yogasūṭra, Samādhi Pāda, Sādhana Pāda, Vibhūti and Kaivalya Pāda Vyāsa’s Commentary,Tamil Translation with extensive foot notes from Sub-commentaries – published in three volumes, 2013- 15
- Collected papers on Yoga and Sanskrit, Proceedings of a KYM Seminar , 2014
- Dimensions of Yoga, Proceedings of a National Seminar, 2014
- Yogayājñavalkya Saṃhitā, The Yoga treatise of Yājñavalkya, Revised Edition, 2015
Literary Research Seminars conducted:
- One Day regional seminar on Yogasudhākara – A commentary on yogasūtras by Sadāśiva Brahmendra, at Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram, 14thNovember 2010.
- Organized a One day regional Seminar on Yoga and Samskritam jointly organized by Krishnamcharya Yoga Mandiram and Samskrita Bharati, Tamilnadu on 29th August 2013.
- One Day National Seminar on “Dimensions of Yoga and Its Dynamics” jointly organized with MOP Vaishnav college for women on July, 4, 2014 at MOP Vaishnav college for women, Chennai.
Literary Research Articles Published
- Vyädhi: Inputs from the yogasūtras and its commentaries on a predominantly Ayurvedic terminology, Ayurveda Journal of Health, Volume 12, Issue 4, Fall 2015, ISSN: 2372-1804, Centre for indic studies, University of Massachusetts, p.32- 36 (international/peer-reviewed)
- “Tirukkuralgranthe yogaśāstravicāraḥ” Çrutiçobhä, ISSN: 23481102 Volume 2, Issue 2, April 2015 pgs.19 – 30.
- “Prayatnaśaithilya in the practice of yogāsana- A critical Survey based on the classical commentaries Yogasūtra-s” Yogamīmāṃsā volume 44 by Kaivalyadham, Pune, April 2012. ISSN 0044-0507 (Peer-reviewed/indexed journal)
- yogasūtroktaḥ ekatattvābhyāsaḥ – ekaḥ vimarśaḥ – yogasūtrāṇāṃ sāmpradāyikavyākhyānāṃ pariśīlanena kṛtam adhyayanam” Prajïäloka, a research journal of Department of Sanskrit, Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda University, Belur, West Bengal, 2013. ISSN 2320-5911
- Aṣṭāṅgayoga in Purāṇic Lore, Çrutiçobhä, ISSN: 23481102, April 2014 (peer reviewed)
- “Anantasamāpatti – A Technique for the practice of Āsana prescribed by Patanjali” International Journal of Yoga, Philosophy, psychology and Parapsychology, ISSN: 2347-5633, Volume 1, Issue 2, July – December 2013, pgs 63-86 . (peer-reviewed/indexed/international)
Lectures and papers presented on Literary Research Aspects of Yoga:
- International Conference: Unique Insights from Räjayogatarala – An Unpublished Commentary on Yogatärävalé of (ascribed to) çaìkaräcärya, 16th World Sanskrit Conference , Bangkok, June 2015.
- International Conference: Prayatnaçaithilya and Anantasamäpatti: Two techniques for practice of Asana prescribed by Pataïjali, 11th International conference on “Vedic Living in Modern world” Maharshi University of Management at Fairfield, Iowa, USA, July
- National Conference: tirukkuralgranthe yogaçästravicäräù, National Seminar on Tirukkural, Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha, Tirupati March 2015.
- National Workshop: Yoga the stress Buster: Its Vedic Moorings “, National workshop on “Vedic Living in Modern world” Mambalam Samskrita Vidyalaya on July 2014, Chennai
- National Seminar: “The Nature of Añöäìga Yoga in the Puräëa-s”, National seminar on Puräëa-s, Purnaprajna Samshodhana Mandiram, Bangalore, March 2012.
- University Lecture: Two lectures in the Çäradägama-2011, special Lecture series on “Elements of Yoga”, Sanskrit and Indian culture Department, Sri Chandrashekarendra Sarasvati Vishvamahavidyalaya, Enathur, Kanchipuram October 2011.
- English Translation of Yogavallī, a Commentary on Yogasūtras by Sri T Krishnamacharya.
- Preparation of Simple Self Learning Text books to Learn Yogic Concepts through Sanskrit – Project funded by ONGC-CSR Initiative and Samskrita Promotion Foundation, New Delhi.
- Critical Edition of Räjayogatarala An Unpublished Commentary on Yogatärävalé of (ascribed to) çaìkaräcärya.
- Recognized as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (SIRO) by Department of Scientific and International Research (DSIR), Government of India.
- Systematic documentation and analysis of care seekers records.
- Our Research Faculty has been recognized as a Supervisor Guide for Ph.D and M.Phil in Sanskrit and Indian Culture by Sri Chandrasekarendra Sarasvti Visvamahavidyalaya, Kanchipuram.